Saturday, December 29, 2007
I had a wonderful Christmas holiday. My son flew in from Vermont on Sunday morning and then my 2 daughters came over that night. It was really fun having our family together again even for just a short time frame. I was busy from Sunday all the way through Christmas night. Michael, son, had to fly home Christmas night. I hated to see him leave. I had not seen him since the first part of August. I am going to try to get some time off in the spring or summer and go visit him then.
My oldest daughter is in Puerto Rico with her boyfriend and his family. I am so jealous. :)
Well I am going to wrap it up for now. I will post again very soon.
Saturday, December 1, 2007
For this swap we have to find photos in the following categories:
- Something Red
As you can probably tell, I either love black and white or very vivid colors! Hope you enjoyed.
Please check out the swap site at: http://cocoaswap.blogspot.com/ The sign-up begins on December 16, 2007. Mark your calendars!!!!1
Monday, November 26, 2007
This blog is about the subject of mold. It is very interesting. Also, I never knew that there would be a blog about mold.
This site posts pictures of missing children. It is well worth looking at. At the bottom of each picture, you can find the contact information for the law enforcement agency handling the case.
There are many subjects in this blog. I have read it with regard to grief after losing my husband.
The cooking diva blog is very interesting. It has information about the chef and things she does also includes many recipes.
I have been a member of www.freelancebyu.com for over 5 years. The woman that runs the site sends out e-mails with terrific deals on purchases and numerous free items. I love this site.
Partners and coordinators blogs:
http://www.simonesbutterfly.blogspot.com/ (Coordinator of swap)
http://happyturnip.blogspot.com/ (Keep Myself in Stitches)
Hope you enjoy looking at these blogs.
Sunday, November 25, 2007
My ideal setting for the enjoying the perfect cup of coffee would be first thing on a Sunday morning (no possibility of having to go to work) while everyone else in the house is sleeping. If I am so lucky as to wake up before my granddaughter (she spends every Saturday night with me), then I go out and make a fresh pot of Breakfast Blend coffee. I will pick whatever cream I have a craving for and then plop down in front of the television to watch the Sunday morning news shows. I use to try to read the paper but with Alia here I do not even attempt that until the evening. Sometimes I will fix myself something like an omelet; however most of the time I enjoy the coffee alone.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
1. I am very thankful for having 3 wonderful children and a very loving family.
2. I am thankful to have my granddaughter. Alia is my stepson's daughter. I truly believe she is a gift from God. She can make me smile just being in her presence.
3. I am very thankful to have employment, and a roof over my head.
4. I am grateful to have my health. This year I have had a couple of health scares but every time is has turned out to be nothing serious.
I have many more things to be grateful for. However, these are the most important in my life.
Saturday, November 10, 2007
Monday, November 5, 2007
I began drinking coffee as a young child, to act like a grown up. However, it was not until I became a late teenager that I really began to love coffee. When I first started drinking coffee I drank it with just cream. I absolutely love the smell of a pot of coffee brewing. I now like to try the different flavored coffees. I still only drink a cup with cream but like to experiment with flavors. I have to admit though, I am addicted. If I try to stop drinking coffee, I get the worse headache ever. Therefore, I will only limit my coffee to one cup in the morning and the portable coffee IV all day long!!!! :)
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Saturday, October 27, 2007
I got my package the other day from my partner for the FFBE. I absolutely love everything! She sent me a mini knitting kit that has a couple patterns it it. The yarn is Wool-ease and Patrons Cha-Cha. She sent enough for me to make the pattern of a stuffed bunny for my granddaughter. I have already started the bunny (before my daughter confiscates the Cha-cha yarn)! She also sent Honey Vanilla tea. I really love Vanilla tea. :) Thank you so much.
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Since I know that my partner has received her package I thought I would post the pictures of the bag I made for the FFBE. I have to admit I am pleased with how it turned out. It is funny though, I always get so nervous when I am sending it to someone (afraid they won't like it). :)
I now have to get very serious about knitting Christmas gifts!!!!
Sunday, October 21, 2007
What are your favorite kinds of coffee? (Brands, Roasts, anything at all you'd like to share!)
I love Starbucks house blend. I also like Folgers Vanilla roast.
Do you prefer whole bean or ground coffee?
I would prefer beans if at all possible. I have a grinder and will grind the beans as I make the coffee.
This time of year, there are often Holiday Blends available, and many flavored coffees - do you drink flavored coffee? Do you enjoy special blends?
I love to try different flavors and will try the holiday blends. I also love the Pumpkin flavored coffee from Green Mountain Coffee.
How do you take your coffee? Cream and Sugar? Straight up? Decaf?
I drink my coffee with just cream.
Do you prefer drinking from a nice thick mug, or a matched cup and saucer?
Definitely a nice thick mug. I think of cup and saucers as something you drink tea out of.
Winter and Holidays - PLEASE be descriptive! Your pal will need this information to be sure to put together a package you will enjoy!
What is your favorite part of Winter?
I love when the air gets really cold, especially in the mornings. For some reason it is easier for me to get up and want to start my day when it is cold out.
Do you celebrate a holiday in December, and if so, which holiday?
We celebrate Christmas in December.
If you celebrate Christmas, do you put up a tree?
Yes, we put up a Christmas tree. I love to go through the Christmas tree decorations and see the different ones we have collected over the years.
Would you enjoy items related to the holiday, or would you prefer a Winter themed package?
To be honest, it does not matter to me. If you want to put together a Christmas package that would be great; however, if you would prefer a Winter themed I will enjoy that also!.
Do you collect anything? Are there any holiday or winter-themed items (Snowmen, Angels, Snoflakes, Santas, etc) that you collect?
I collect Precious Moments. I also like Snowmen and Angels for Christmas. Also, since this is my first Christmas since my husband passed away I will be using more of the Angel theme. :)
Do you wear scarves? Mittens? Hats?
I wear scarves, hats, and mittens. While I love the cold weather, I don't like to get too cold.
What is your favorite holiday or winter treat?
I love all the homemade goodies during the winter and holidays. I absolutely love my mother's pinwheel cookies. This is the only time of the year that we get them!
Please share a favorite Winter or Holiday memory.
Every Christmas we get together at my paternal grandmother's house for Christmas dinner. This one particular year, my maternal grandparents had come to visit also. We have a large group on Christmas. While we were all sitting around the table after eating someone tried to hang a spoon of their nose. The next thing you know, everyone in the room was attempting to do also. We were all laughing so hard and seeing all three of my grandparents trying also was so much fun. (Yes, our family can get a little silly sometimes; but that is why I love them all.)
Yarn and Crafting
Do you Knit or Crochet? For how long?
I mainly knit now. I learned to knit about a year ago. I have crocheted for over 20 years.
Do you like wooden, metal, or plastic needles\hooks? Circular or straight?
I prefer wooden needles. Whether I prefer Circular or straight really depends on my project at the time.
What sort of projects do you enjoy making?
I am hooked on making felted bags!!!!! I think I need a 12 step program for this addiction :)
What are your favorite types of yarn to work with?
I love the feeling of Alpaca. I also like working with wool.
Do you spin or dye? Not yet. I am sure it is coming in the future.
Do you do other crafts such as scrapbooking or needlepoint or anything else?
I will try almost any craft. I love cross stitch and needlepoint. I just like anything that will allow me to be a little creative.
When is your birthday?
Do you have any children? (Furry kind count!)
I have 3 children (23-girl, 20-boy, & 17-girl). My granddaughter is 19 months old and then I have 2 cats.
What are your favorite colors?
Purples, burgandy, burnt orange
Do you have any allergies?
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Above are pictures of how I spent my Saturday with Alia. She has had the flu and both ears have been infected for approximately 2 weeks. This weekend you could definitely tell she was feeling better. Alia likes to jump on the couch and she loves to have her picture taken. So while Grandma was trying to keep Alia from falling, I was also trying to take pictures of her with my free hand. She was in such a good mood!! I can't help but smile just remembering .....
Monday, October 15, 2007
Monday, October 8, 2007
Sunday, October 7, 2007
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Monday, September 24, 2007
After work, I had to go see my father-in-law. I really feel bad for him. My husband, John, is the second child her has lost. Due to the fact that John died in an accident, his father is focusing on wanting to sue the driver that hit him. I believe that it will only bring more pain to the driver and will not ever bring "closure" as my father-in-law thinks it will. So after leaving his place, all I wanted to do was come home and knit.
I have been working on the FFBE bag. I am almost ready to felt the bag. I can't wait to see it felted. I find it amazing that knitting can bring such a calm over me, even after such a stressful day.
Tomorrow would have been my husband's 42nd birthday. I am really trying to stay positive and enjoy the day as much as possible. He was looking forward to his birthday. He was always such a BIG KID when it came to getting presents!! It makes me smile just thinking about how he would act.
Saturday, September 22, 2007
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
- Are you religious?
Yes, I believe in God.
- How long have you been knitting? Would you consider yourself a Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced? I have been knitting for about a year now. I still consider myself a beginner.
- Do you have any other hobbies besides knitting? I love to read, and take long walks.
- Favorite color(s)? purples and burgandies
- Do you collect anything? precious moment figurines
- Are you allergic to any fibers or animals? no
- Do you have any pets? Yes, I have 2 cats (Lance and Thunder)
- Coffee, Tea, or Hot Chocolate? I really enjoy a good cup of coffee!!! :)
- Cookies or Sweets? I prefer cookies.
- Do you knit socks? No, however that is my next thing to learn with regard to knitting.
- If not socks then what? (tell us about your favorite knits) I am really enjoying knitting bags and purses.
- Do you put up a Christmas tree? If not then what do you do? Yes we put up a tree.
- Favorite holiday treats? My mom's pinwheel cookies.
- Favorite holiday smells? The smell of the fresh Christmas tree in the house.
- Do you celebrate Christmas in a traditional or unconventional way? Please elaborate. We celebrate in traditional ways. Every year we go to my parent's house for breakfast and to open presents and then go to my grandmother's house for the day.
- What are your favorite holiday traditions? Decorating the tree
- Finish the sentence: “For me Christmas is all about....” The birth of our Lord and celebrating His birth with family and friends.
- If you were a Christmas ornament you would be…….? I would be figurine of a mother holding her children on her lap.
- What was your favorite gift you've ever received? Or given?I enjoying giving gifts that I know the other person really wanted.
- When do you start your Christmas? We start celebrating the holiday season at the beginning of December.
- Do you send Christmas cards? Do you make them or buy them? No.
- What is your favorite Christmas dish? Stuffing.
- Carolers are at your door. What do you do? I open the door and enjoy the sounds.
- When do you open presents? Christmas eve or Christmas morning? We open presents on Christmas morning.
- Do you celebrate with family or friends or both? We celebrate with both friends and family.
John is my best friend and was such a sweet person. He had such a heart of gold. I know he is now my guardian angel!
Please keep our family in your prayers. Also, please say prayers for his son and daughter. They are having an extremely hard time right now.
Saturday, September 8, 2007
As I write this, I am waiting to find out if I will have my granddaughter for the night. Grandma can't wait to spoil her!!!! As you can from this picture, Alia has very "devilish" side to her. Of course, as her grandmother, I only see her as an angel. This was taken last Sunday morning. She had just gotten me up very early and she was ready to move, but Grandma was still trying to drink her coffee.
For being a short week, it feels as if I have worked 2 weeks. I work for a trash company and even though we get a holiday, the trash still needs to get picked up the week of the holiday. Therefore, I always try to really enjoy my day off because when I go back to work I pay for the day off!
I have been busy knitting in the evenings. I am working on the book bag for my niece. Here is the link to the pattern: Ayla Bag. Hopefully I will have a pic of it soon to post. I was about 1/4 of the way through the pattern when I realized I needed to frog it almost all the way down to the base. I am determined I am doing this bag! I also have plans to use the basic pattern and adapt it also for my nieces 2 brothers. These are my brother's 3 year old triplets and they have just started preschool. I figure if I make these for Christmas (along with cool toys from Aunt Suzy) it will be around the time their parents will be looking to replace their first book bags.
Lastly, our family has the problem of addiction in it. Both my stepson and husband are addicts. My husband is currently in rehab but will be getting out tomorrow, Monday, or Tuesday. Needless to say, the stress level is very high for me right now. However, I have to admit my Nar-Anon friends have been great and they are helping me get through all of this. If you are a friend or family member of an addict and need to know you are not alone, please reach out to Nar-Anon. If you don't know how to reach them, please contact me and I will try to find a meeting for you!
Saturday, September 1, 2007
2. Have you made dischloths before? Do you use them yourself, give them as gifts, or both?
3. What's your favorite cotton to make cloths from? What cotton would you like to try that you haven't before ?
4. If you knit, do you prefer circular or straight needles? For all, do you prefer wooden, metal, or plastic needles?
5. What are your favorite colors? Any colors you don't like much?
6. What do you like best about Autumn?
7. Pies: Pumpkin? Apple? Pecan? All of em? or No Thanks!
8. When you were a kid, were you the one who couldn't wait to get started with school , or the one who overslept on the 1st day?
9. Do you celebrate Halloween? (The real key here guys is especially knowing if you have an aversion to the holiday or little goodies/decorations associated with it, given the timeframe of the swap)
10. If you had to choose just 3 edible 'goodies' to eat for a full year, what 3 would you choose?
Chocolate, popcorn, and peaches
11. Do you have any pets? Kids? Husbands who seem like kids? ;)
I have 3 grown children and 1 granddaughter. I also have 2 cats and 1 husband.
12. If you were to describe a particular yarn that shares traits of your personality, what would it be and why? I love variegated. They would show the different "colors" of me.
13. Do you use your cloths mostly for dishcloths, or as facecloths?
Right now as dishclothes. However, with Christmas coming I am working on fashclothes.
14. Favorite Fall Holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving and why? (Feel free to share another fall memory if you do not celebrate either of these holidays)
Thanksgiving. I get to spend time with my entire family.
15. Do you have any allergies or aversions your pal should know about? NO.
Friday, August 31, 2007
I really like Cascade. I love the feel of the yarn and how it felts.
2. Name one person in the swap who is not from the U.S. and tell us where they are from, and link to their blog. Nicola S. She is from Chesire, UK. Here is a link to her blog: http://greengreenplanet.blogspot.com/
3. Find one person in the swap who has a dog, and let us know the name of their dog(s) and link to their blog.
Alana R. has 2 dogs, Jyada and Flex. The link to her blog is: http://stringsandpurls.blogspot.com/
4. Find one person in the swap who has a child or grandchild and link to their blog.
Kristen M. http://dayinthelifeof531.blogspot.com/
5. And finally, tell us if you like October or November more, and why!
November is my favorite month because my oldest daughter was born in that month. Also, I get to celebrate a holiday, Thanksgiving, with my extended family.
Friday, August 24, 2007
I received this invitation from Joann. I hope you will read it and want to participate.
I will send a handmade gift to 3 random people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join this Pay It Forward exchange. This isn't a huge gift, just a little something to lift your spirits. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week, but you will receive it within 365 days, that is my promise! The only thing you have to do if you like, is in return pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
I have Alia, my granddaughter this evening so I can't work on any other projects until she goes home.
Hope you all had a great day.
Saturday, August 18, 2007
- How long have you been knitting or crocheting? I have been knitting for about 1 year now. IHow did you learn? or from whom? I actually was taught by my 19 year old son. I then used the internet to get directions for stitches I did not know how to do.
- What was your first felted object, and why did you decide to try felting? I made a basket a few months ago. I like the look of felted items and I needed another basket for all my yarn.
- What are your favorite colors? I like yellows, greens, and burgandy.Any you hate? I have not found any that I hate yet.
- What are your favorite styles\types of bags? I like large tote type bags.(Long straps? Short handles? Handbags? Totes? Embellished? Plain? Include links to patterns or photos if you’d like – give your pal an idea of what you enjoy!) I also like the bags with the pretty felted flowers on them. Hint Hint.
- What handbag or bag are you carrying today? Do you use a separate bag to carry your knitting? I am currently using a store bought handbag. Yes I use separate bags for carrying my knitting.
- What other things do you enjoy knitting or crocheting? I love reading murder mysteries, and craft fairs.
- What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum) I love the bamboo needles. I also like to work with circs.
- What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make? I want to try a cardigan sweater.
- What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with? Suede
- What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden? Reading
- Besides yarn, do you collect anything?
- What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty? Anything you hate or are allergic to? I like the sugar free chocolates. I am diabetic.
- Do you have any kiddos? (Furry kind count!) I have 3 children ..23 yo girl, 20 yo boy, & 17 yo girl. I also have a 17 month old granddaughter.
- What kind of project best personifies you and why? I don't have any projects that I would say personifies me yetl
- What is your favorite part of Autumn? You can also share a special Autumn memory if you'd prefer! I love the foliage. My son goes to school in Vermont and I travel to see him each fall. I love it up there.
- Tell us 3 things you would do if you won 10 million dollars in the lottery. Buy a house, pay off my childrens' student loans, and volunteer with people suffering from addiction.
Friday, August 17, 2007
I am also going through "empty" nest syndrome. My youngest daughter is going to be moving out to move onto college. I have 3 children, 22, 20, & 17 years old. I love all of them more than I ever imagined possible. My other love is my 17 month old granddaughter. She is just adorable!!!!
I love to go to craft fairs. I am always looking for ideas for something new to do. One of my other passions is reading. I always try to have a book going. I usually take my book and my knitting wherever I go! :)
This is just a brief introduction to myself. Please bear with me as I update my blog. (I can't believe I am finally creating a blog)!